Apple Honey Crisp
Makes 6 servings
|1 kg||Cortland, Empire, or McIntosh apples, cored and sliced||2 lbs.|
|125 mL||honey||½ cup|
|5 mL||ground cinnamon||1 tsp|
|2 mL||nutmeg||½ tsp.|
|250 mL||all-purpose flour||1 cup|
|60 mL||butter or margarine, softened||¼ cup|
|60 mL||honey||¼ cup|
- Toss apples with 125 mL (½ cup) honey, cinnamon and nutmeg in bowl. Turn into 1.8-litre (2-quart) baking dish.
- For topping, beat flour with butter and 60 mL (¼ mL) honey until crumbly; sprinkle over apples.
- Bake at 175 °C (350 °F) for 40 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden.
- Serve with Warm Nutmeg Cream or ice cream.
Warm Nutmeg Cream
Makes 125 mL (½ cup)
|125 mL||whipping cream||½ cup|
|30 mL||honey||2 tbsp.|
|30 mL||butter or margarine||2 tbsp.|
|1 mL||nutmeg||¼ tsp.|
- Combine all ingredients in saucepan and bring to boil. Simmer, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly.
- Serve over Apple Honey Crisp and enjoy.
Note: Honey is a safe and wholesome food for adults and children, but it should not be fed to infants less than a year old.
Recipe inspired by National Honey Board ©